Thursday, January 5, 2012

Its very easy to be altruistic...even if you are short on time & money :)

I think in the New Year many people start thinking about how they can make the coming year a better one than the year before.  I have always wanted to be a person who volunteers their time and resources as I feel life has been very generous with me...but I've faced a few obstacles in the time and money department at not in any order :) 

So I thought I might share some of the ways I've been able to do something, even if it is small.

I use a goodsearch browser bar.  At their website goodsearch.com you can designate a charity after downloading their search bar.  Every time you search the advertisers donate to the charity you have chosen.  Additionally when you purchase items through the internet you can do it through their website and get extra toward your charity. 

You can also designate thehungersite.com as one of your homepages...and in similar fashion you can click a button & shop through them... advertisers donate every time you click and you can earn extra for shopping through their extensive listings.  Additionally there are many sellers on the site offering handmade unique gifts who come from impoverished areas throughout the world.

While in the past I haven't been able to donate much of my time because most of the things I've wanted to volunteer for weren't age appropriate for my children...they are older and there are many ways available to us this year.  On the LBI 18 mile run which is less crowded they were able to volunteer while I run...its a win-win because I look forward to seeing them and they had a blast cheering and handing out the gatorade and water. So this year I am am going to volunteer myself at one or more run.  If running isn't your thing...there are plenty of other opportunities....

If it is time that you have available...By visiting volunteermatch.com  you can find volunteer opportunities that fit all time/age/$ restrictions. 

And don't forget to volunteer in your community...there are so many ways in our communities to donate...donating surplus veggies from too many tomato plants to your local church, donating blood (visit redcross.org for locations), donating time at your local library (kid friendly), cleaning out your closet and donating to your local goodwill. 

There are so many ways to give...big and small...even during a recession..when its most needed!

And just so this post isn't all sappy and serious...my son told me this joke yesterday....

No comments:

Post a Comment